14 November 2014

I ♥ My Craft Room

I wondered if you fancied a little potter around my craft room?  It's definitely an 'in day' today as the weather's been so grotty and I've just been giving it a bit of a spruce.  The kettle is on and you're most welcome.

I love my craft room.  I wish I'd given it a more interesting name from the offset.  My friend Cuckoo calls hers 'the bird box' which is delightful but if I called mine anything else now it would be too contrived so 'craft room' it is.

I claimed this room as my very own eighteen months ago and blogged about it here.  Gosh, it looks so much more cluttered now.  It's definitely a hotchpotch and not the kind of room you'd ever see gracing the pages of a magazine but it's full of my pretty treasures and favourite things.  It even smells nice.  Occasionally I get an urge to have a ruthless purge and turn it into something a little more streamlined and stylish but it doesn't last long.  Anyway, I don't think there is one single thing in here I could, or would want to, do without.

It's extremely dull today so please forgive the lighting.



Unfortunately I do have to share it with the ironing board.  And Mount Ironing.  There's no point in my pretending that the shameful heap you see there is a one-off; there will be clothes at the bottom of the basket I've actually forgotten I own, trust me.

The pin board hasn't quite made it up on to the wall yet.  If you've ever sent me a pretty card at some point, you might just see it on there.


My pile of magazines.  Mostly Mollie Makes, Simply Crochet and Cross Stitcher.  I don't subscribe to any magazine any more and only very rarely do I buy one.  I feel I've amassed a bit of a reference library and can spend ages just picking through them.

As for the files?  I file everything; it's one of my 'things'.  I think it stems from my days as a PA.


Essential yarn storage!  I wonder if there is anyone, anywhere who doesn't have at least one Ikea bookcase???  It may look a bit of a piggy mess to you but I assure you it is organised.  At the top there you see my beloved Sublime stash, a wire basket of aran weight yarn and another of Rooster on the middle shelf, and my Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino collection on the bottom.



On the very top shelf, I have an original matryoshka doll.  My grandmother brought it back from Moscow as a gift, over thirty years ago.  Also, a couple of mementoes from my 40th birthday trip to Paris, including an entrance ticket to The Louvre and a candle from Notre Dame.  I'm not sure why I keep them all hiding up here.


Katie Daisy calendar.  I must check if there is to be a 2015 version.


This is a little bedside table that used to belong to my Mother In Law.  One day I will paint it.  A soft turquoise I think.  The drawers are chock-full of felt.

My poor neglected sewing machine sits on top.  It's a Brother XL-4023.  I bought it years ago from a mail order catalogue, paying in instalments, and, despite its ill-treatment, it's never let me down.

Oops, I think it needs a wipe!



Random pretties hanging from the ceiling.


My 'control centre' from a very unflattering angle.  Shredder (what can I say, I worry about fraud!), bin, 'phone, printer, radio and laptop.  All within easy reach.  All extremely essential.  This is where I sit and blog.  My 'desk' is actually our old Habitat kitchen table and, after years of being smeared with vegetable puree and Weetabix, glue and paint, I like to think it's enjoying its sedentary retirement in my craft room.


A Laura Ashley lamp my daughter didn't want anymore and, likewise, a cow alarm clock from my son. 


One of my many gorgeous Janet Bell prints.  I particularly love this one because it reminds me of Mevagissey.  I'm going to hang it above the table, so it's directly in my eyeline.  One day.


Ahem.  More shelves.  More yarn.  Drops in the bottom basket and a random selection in the top.


I often print out yarn colour charts - they're such a useful quick reference.  It makes reordering (too) easy plus, of course, they're nice to look at!  To its right is a selection of discontinued Sublime colours.  I'm often asked which yarn I used for past projects and, without this, I'm sure I wouldn't remember.

Oh, and do you like my daughter's sketch of me?  ;-)



Bertie loves it when I'm in my craft room.  He lies just over the border into the lounge where he can keep close tabs on me.  Today he seems to have collected a motley pile of toys.  Bless him, do you think perhaps he wants to show you some of his favourite things too?


If I've inspired you to share your crafty corner (go on, please do), simply add a link at the bottom of this post (under the comments box).

Thank you so much for visiting.  Do come again soon.

xxx


Edited to add … take a peek at these lovely ladies' craft room ideas:-

Dinki Dot's pretty craft shelf (love the colour).

33 comments:

  1. Your craft room is lovely. Mine gets called the dragens den. Now the weather has turned though I am back in the cottage in the warm and only pop into the dragons den when I am in search of something. It will be back in full use come the spring though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dragons Den? Ha! That's fab. Ooh, does that mean it's in your garden? How gorgeous. I bet you love throwing open its doors when the weather's warm enough. x

      Delete
  2. Lovely craft room ! I usually use the whole house for my crafting ;-)))
    And I'm in love with Bertie !!! That sweet look on his face.. "Please show my stuff too...". Soooo sweet :-) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I frequently 'spill over' too, Ingrid. Ah well, love me, love my yarn! x

      Delete
  3. What a pretty and organised craft room Heather! What would we do without good old Ikea bookshelves! Love all your pretty yarn on show - mine is just stuffed away in bags and baskets as there is no room in my craft room as its chocka full of fabric.
    I wouldn't dare share mine at the moment as its a total mess, and the floor is scattered with fabric offcuts and thread!
    But yours is lovely, and thanks for sharing. Bertie looks adorable and so cute showing off his toys!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heather, lovely to see your craft space. It's very pretty and very you.
    I looked up this years Katie Daisy calendar and it's got lots of repeats of this year...so disappointing.
    I've loved this years version all year.
    Thank you.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you've enjoyed your calendar Jacquie, I have too. I'm quite looking forward to cutting out some of my favourite prints to frame! I've just looked at the 2015 version and you're absolutely right about the repeats - how naughty. x

      Delete
  5. Lovely!!!! Looks like a fun place to be in!!! Love all the little bits and bobs!!!! It's the little things that "make" it the space it is, don't you think? Have a happy weekend!!!
    Love
    AMarie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for showing us around, it lovely I love all the colours and all that yummy yarn too. I craft from my Summerhouse but there is a lot of craftermath at the moment so we're not fit for visitors, maybe one day soon I share a post about it
    Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Craftermath' is now my word of the week. Clare, you're a genius! x

      Delete
  7. An absolute pleasure to gave a wander around your space. So nanny lovely personal things. Vibrant,alive and aglow. Pretty perfect actually x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post Heather. The fact that your special place is full of pieces that mean something to you is worth far more than an immaculate 'styled' piece. Saying that I think my place might need a bit of 'styling' (a.k.a. tidying up) before I could share any of it! And as for Bertie - what a cutie - I'm surprised you can get anything done with him looking at you - what a cutie! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE looking round other people's craft room, thankyou so much for sharing all your lovely things :) I have a similar space, what was our spare bedroom, it's quite a recent thing and very cluttered, but I'm trying to sort it out a bit at a time. I think that that's almost as satisfying as the craft itself!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, you're just like me! I love seeing into other people's homes (the best thing about this time of year is dog walking when people have their lights and curtains open so I can peer in)! I can spend hours having a sort too, surely it's a craft in itself?! ;-) x

      Delete
  10. Your craft room is very pretty, and looks really organised :) I have a craft shed which is currently out of use due to needing general renovation, but am so looking forward to having it back in action again. At the moment my things are in pockets around the house. Love your fresh colour combinations x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your craft room is lovely - why does it make me so excited looking at pictures of pretty crafty supplies and storage?! I posted a 'sneak-peak' of my craft room recently. It's not the whole thing, as it really needs a tidy - the room is in chaos (still!) The link is here:

    http://dinkidots.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/craft-room-sneak-peek.html

    I coudn't add the link under your comments box - it didn't seem to work as I expected it to (it might just be me and my incompetence, though!)
    Thanks for the beautiful pictures, so many lovely things!
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely crafty room Heather! I like the pink wall so much! I have recently post about my crafty corner::: http://tamapollo.blogspot.it/2014/10/my-crafty-space.html Take a look! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A gorgeous space and very productive, I love been able to see all the wool as its so colourful and warming x i'll be posting my crafty corner at some point before christmas, i must try to remember to share it with you x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful room, and full of so many delicious things. I love the bits from the children. Bertie is such a sweetie, very photogenic. No craft room here to show you unfortunately, just the odd shelf and a bit of the wardrobe. I dream of rooms such as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your craft room is so lovely! A real girls space where you can have all your things and do your creating as you wish, how lovely is that! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Heather, I ♥ your craft room too !
    kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your craft room ... Especially all the gorgeous yarn storage! I love the pink walls (sighing longingly!). Mine tends to double as the clothing distribution centre in our house!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the fact that the entrance to your cosy crafty room is through an arch.! The storage baskets for your yarn are brilliant and so is the yarn itself....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for letting us visit your craft room ~ it is lovely, and so warm and welcoming. I, like you, have always enjoyed peering into people's homes when the lights are on and the curtains pulled open! Fortunately now we can view craft rooms this way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How pretty and inviting your craft room is! I love that shade of pink, and all your lovely storage and pretties. Thank you for showing us, Heather.
    Happy week.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's lovely and yes I certainly did enjoy my little look around. Just the sort of tour I like, poking into all the corners, perfect! Love your wire storage baskets for yarn, so pretty!

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks so much more lived in than it did in your original post about it. My mother told me my face looked lived in the other day and I really don't think she meant to be complimentary, so to be clear, I love your lived in, worked in, crafty space :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS You keep yarn in the open air, you're braver than me ... the only time I risked that we had a moth incident!

      Delete
  23. Hello,I just found you on BOBO BUN! You have lovely things and I popped into your craft room,I have posted photos of my sewing/craft room I am a novice so learning everyday.It was my resolution to learn to crochet in 2014 and after LOTS of trying times I can crochet a little! Ttfn Pam (PAMCHINAHOLIC)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Anyone ever told you that you're a peach? xx

Followers